pages

Monday

stitching away

After thoroughly digesting the book yesterday, it was time for a play today. I just had a bit of an experiment to see what worked best for me. It helped sooo much dropping the feed dog (which I hadn't even realised existed!)


After playing around with the darning foot and embroidery foot, and still finding it all a bit chuggy, I decided to be brave and give up, so these attempts were all completely freehand!

I've still got a bit of practising to do, and I haven't even tried appliquéing yet

but overall I was extremely pleased with my efforts for a first attempt, and just really enjoyed the process


This is all a bit of a journey for me ... the things I was expecting to enjoy about making my bus quilt turned out to be the bits I didn't like so much, and the embroidery that was almost an afterthought, was just amazing!

Now that I've found a technique that I enjoy, I'm conscious that I've got to try and find my own style rather than copying other people's work - the teacup was a direct copy from the book, but the rest is just me playing about, which I'm quite chuffed with!

2 comments:

  1. free embroidery is such fun isn't it! I prefer to use an embroidery foot, it also helps if you can reduce the pressure on the foot as well as lowering the feed dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice - I'll try having a play with the pressure (although the mere thought of adjusting the pressure usually terrifies me!)

    ReplyDelete