pages

Sunday

too good not to share


It wasn't so long ago that I used to spend a lot of my time in the kitchen cooking and baking, which I love doing. These days circumstances are such that I don't really do an awful lot in the kitchen, but this morning I really fancied making something naughty. I found this cookie recipe here a little while, and decided to give it a try. the reviews are right, and they're really like proper shop-bought cookies, so I thought I'd share the recipe.

Best Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


Ingredients

250g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
170g unsalted butter, melted
150g dark brown soft sugar
50g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
325g chocolate chips

Preparation method

1.Preheat the oven to 170 C /Gas mark 3. Grease baking trays or line with parchment.
2.Sift together the flour, bicarb and salt; set aside.
3.In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and caster sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough onto the prepared baking trays, with each cookie around 4 tablespoons of dough (for smaller cookies, drop 1 rounded tablespoonful and adjust baking time as necessary). Do not flatten the dough. Cookies should be about 8cm apart.
4.Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking trays for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

If you look at the site itself, you'll see that I've changed the sugar and vanilla extract volumes based on the feedback on the site. I also only added 100g of chocolate (I just had a bar of green and blacks which I chopped up into chunks) and I would probably go with the volume on the recipe! Finally, I used tablespoon sized blobs of the cookie mixture, and came out with the cookies in the picture above - I think if you used the 4 tablespoons that the recipe recommends, then they'd be the size of dinner plates ... although that doesn't sound entirely awful!


No comments:

Post a Comment